- Preparing draft plans, policies and programs regarding development of physical infrastructure, its implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Transport (Except Air Transport) and transit management and its operation related policy, draft preparation, program implementation, monitoring, regulation and evaluation.
- Inspection, approval and implementation of plans and policies related to the construction and development of roadways, waterways, railways, subways, flyovers and ropeways.
- Strategic roads (except rural roads and local roads) and bridge (except suspension bridge and local bridge) construction, renovation and preservation.
- To coordinate with the international agency for the construction of roadways and ropeways.
- Corporation, company and association concerning transport (except Air transport) and transit management and operation.
- Relation with international institution and organization for management, operation and inspection of transport (except air transport) services.
- Study, investigation, data collection and analysis of transport facilities.
- Various units including Road Board, railways and transport management related other institutions.
- Engineering council and Engineering consultant and the related institutions.
- Railway, Metro construction, operation and maintenance.
- Operation of Highway and Railway sub groups of Nepal Engineering Services and Civil Engineering Group.
(* Government of Nepal (Allocation of Business) Rules, 2072 )